Direct answer
I would not settle this by seniority or by who escalates loudest. I would turn two competing asks into one question both leaders can sign up to ("what use of this quarter's capacity protects the most revenue and reliability together?"), agree the evidence and the yardstick first, then bring options to a single decision meeting. After the decision I would brief each leader privately before any group announcement: what was decided, why in their own terms, what they gave up, and when their item comes back.
Structured elaboration
- Separate positions from interests. Sales' position is "build this feature"; the interest is a named customer signing or renewing. Engineering's position is "fund the platform work"; the interest is fewer customer-facing outages, which also cost revenue.
- Ask each side to bring evidence they own. Sales brings the deal value, the close date, written confirmation that the feature is a condition of signing, and what happens if it slips a quarter. Engineering brings the outage history (how many incidents, how long customers were affected), the component that keeps failing, and the smallest piece of platform work that removes most of the risk.
- Agree one yardstick before looking at options. Revenue at stake = deal value x the extra chance of closing if the feature ships on time, where deal value is measured in annual recurring revenue (ARR: the yearly subscription money a customer pays). Outage cost = incidents per quarter x cost per incident (service credits, meaning refunds owed to customers for downtime, plus support load and churn risk). Both leaders sign off on the yardstick first, so neither can reject the result as rigged.
- Build options beyond "A or B".
- Phased delivery: ship the narrowest enterprise slice that satisfies the customer's actual requirement first, behind a feature flag (an on/off switch so it can be released to one customer), while keeping the quality gates (the checks every release must pass): code review, load testing, and staged rollout are not skipped. The rest of the feature follows with a dated commitment (for example, "the remaining reports ship by the end of next quarter", written down and owned).
- Split capacity so the platform fix that touches the same brittle component happens alongside the slice.
- A customer workaround or services-led interim.
- Name the decider up front. I recommend and facilitate; if the two still disagree, the person who owns the quarter's plan (the product head or general manager) decides by a stated date.
- Set success metrics for both halves. Enterprise feature: contract signed by the agreed date, the customer actively using it within an agreed window after launch, and no rise in incidents traced to it. Platform work: fewer incidents and fewer customer-affected minutes in the specific failure class it targets.
- Change the system so it does not recur. Reserve a fixed share of each quarter's capacity for reliability, decided in advance (for example 20 percent of engineer-weeks, so 6 of 30 are not up for negotiation). Give both leaders one shared goal that includes revenue and reliability. Route customer-driven requests through one intake with an evidence checklist, and review the split every quarter.
How I tell each of them
Both hear it from me one-to-one before the group note, in the same order: the decision, the reason in terms they care about, what they gave up, what I am doing about it, and when it is revisited.
- To the VP of Sales: "You get the slice the customer's contract needs by the date you gave me. The extras land next quarter. I need you to promise only that scope."
- To the Head of Engineering: "You get the fix for the failure that caused most of the outages, and the slice is bounded and flagged. The rest of the platform work is scheduled, not dropped."
Worked example (illustrative numbers)
Capacity is 30 engineer-weeks. Full feature = 24, full platform work = 24, so both cannot fit. Sales' deal is $300,000 in ARR, 70% likely to sign if delivered on time and 20% if a quarter late, so delay puts (0.70 - 0.20) x $300,000 = $150,000 of ARR at risk. Engineering shows about two customer-facing outages per quarter from one component, at roughly $60,000 each in credits, support time and lost renewals, so outage cost = 2 x $60,000 = $120,000 per quarter, and it repeats every quarter until the component is fixed. Compared on the agreed yardstick, $150,000 of ARR at risk (once) and $120,000 of outage cost (every quarter) are the same order of size, so neither side wins outright and a split is justified.
How the split is sized: the enterprise slice is only the part of the 24-week feature the customer's contract actually requires, about 60 percent of it (0.6 x 24 = 14.4, rounded to 14). The platform fix is only the part of the 24-week platform work that removes the failing component, about two thirds of it (0.67 x 24 = 16). Both shares come from engineering's own estimates. Decision: 14 engineer-weeks for the enterprise slice plus 16 for the highest-risk platform fix = 30. Everything else is dated for next quarter.
Trade-offs and pitfalls
- Splitting can leave both halves unfinished, so the slice must be genuinely shippable and the platform fix genuinely meaningful.
- If the deal is not really contingent on the feature, or outages are actively losing customers, the answer flips.
- Do not announce to the group before each leader has heard it privately, and do not reopen the decision without new evidence.